Friday, July 25, 2014

Was the promise of a good university a lie?

As much as I enjoy being a Golden Bear and attending UC Berkeley, I have questioned whether the administrators behind the university solely have education as a goal. In a terse phrase, college is too expensive.
Many of my friends sought out community college as an alternative to paying 30 thousand dollars a year for their college education. I thought I could cut costs somehow, if I could get a better job someday. But the truth is that the bills that the university is charging to my account are ridiculous. My first year, I lived in a tiny room on the 3rd floor in one of the six unit 1 buildings, and shared the small space with two roommates. For the entire two semesters, the total came to 13000. This did not include the monopolistic micro101 fridge company who never returned our deposit money and charged me 2 times what was stated on their website. (fyi, if you go to cal, do NOT rent a fridge from them.) We weren't even allowed to bring our own fridges and microwaves, and had to rent from this so-called supplier. Sure, apartments in Berkeley did have higher than average rents per month, but it still did not come down to 13000 for the time I spent in the dorm buildings. I am frustrated at how the University is trying to make more money off of those who choose to live in dorm buildings, and it was "highly recommended" and said that almost everyone lives in the dorms their first year. (and of course, the thoughts immediately led to not wanting to live in the apartments to be an outsider for my first year)
Another issue is insurance. They require us to have SHIP insurance, and we can waive out of it if we can fill out a form online proving that we already have our own insurance. The only problem is that the majority of the students fill out the form, and the website denies the waiver. Here I am, being a second year, and I am still being charged 1000 something for an insurance I don't need.
Am I frustrated? perhaps. But I feel like these roadblocks definitely hit some people even harder. What to do, what to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment