Saturday, July 19, 2014

3 Dollar Zara Bag New With Tags

Today I had a surprise at my doorstep and it made me so happy. 
As an 18 year old, I go on three websites like a daily ritual: nordstrom, urban outfitters and 6pm. But it's not very easy to find 80% off deals on items that I like. Popular items such as the Longchamp Le Pliage bag, Michael Kors watch, Jeffrey Campbell boots, Birkenstocks, (the list goes on) barely go on sale and I usually only buy items that are on sale (Asian ^_^).
Recently, I use instagram to usually see what good deals other people are getting. I usually type in hashtag #nordstromrack or #ulta to see if there is anything worth a trip to the store for. Recently, one user, who finds deals from nordstrom rack and posts them on her instagram, began using another online website called thredup. Initially, I saw that the website said it was a secondhand store, selling things that were "practically new." My mom always tells me thrifting and purchasing secondhand items are not sanitary, and so I didn't think much of the online store of pre-owned items. But I was bored a week ago, and decided to look closely at this website, and I found some pretty amazing deals. I added to my cart a zara bag that was new with tags for 17.99. Thredup also had some offers such as 40% off your first order or 20$ off your purchase if you use a friend's link. So, I ended up paying only shipping for a brand new zara bag that was originally 99.90$. I paid only 2.99$!
The Green Box from Thredup

I didn't understand how thredup could possibly be making any profit if customers like me purchased something close to the 20$ and paid only shipping each time. My mom, on the other hand, had received an email from the founder of thredup the following day, asking what improvements could be made to the website and why she ended up not purchasing any item with her 40% off offer. I am interested in how this business is run. I see how reaching out to customers who did not purchase seems like Thredup would contain a closer-knit customer seller relationship, if you compare it to a large department store such as Nordstrom or Macys. But such a small business, I am wondering if they are giving these 20$ off codes and 40% off offers to initially attract a larger crowd of customers, and build a larger customer base. I'm sure other girls must have raved about their amazing deals when they show them to their friends. Hmm..I guess it's their way of marketing.



Faux fur on the sides of the bag

No comments:

Post a Comment